Plans to acquire and deploy smart tools and production machinery in order to fashion the “plant of the future” were hampered by aging, disparate, and outdated network equipment. To accommodate anticipated demand for IoT-enabled automation and communication, this client decided to upgrade their entire wired/wireless network infrastructure at 70 North American plants and distribution facilities.
Randstad was selected based on its extensive deployment and network experience, quality focus, innovative approach and structured, scalable delivery model.
Integrated approach included:
- planning, survey and design of all locations
- staging, kitting, configuration and shipping of new equipment
- installation of new equipment and cabling, management of site cutovers, the re-IPing and testing of all equipment
- post-installation survey, using Randstad’s proprietary SurveyR app displayed new equipment and cabling configurations. Testing of wireless coverage
- partnering with the client to standardize network wireless equipment and materials, signal strength benchmarks, access point coverage, etc
- randstad Technologies’ team consisted of network engineers, wireless engineers and project managers who understood IT
Randstad completed upgrades to all 70 sites with no disruptions to the client’s operations. Implementing a faster, more stable and secure network offers wide-ranging benefits:
- facilities can accommodate increased demands for bandwidth, reliability, security and speed for current and future IoT endeavors
- network upgrades cover an aggregate of over 12 million ft2. Installed 520,000 feet of Cat6 cable and almost 150,000 feet of fiber
- more secure and safe infrastructure reduces the risk of intrusion or corruption
- standardization has reduced equipment costs and time spent troubleshooting
- innovative approach reduced outage time and eliminated downtime during network cutovers
Throughout the project, Randstad Technologies leveraged its formal Continual Service Improvement program to ensure work proceeded quickly and effectively. Randstad led Six Sigma Black Belt workshops to standardize customer’s wired and wireless network infrastructure.